How to secure a European student visa

- 2021.09.02

You may assume that the visa application procedure is challenging and time-consuming, but it depends on where you are from and where you intend to study in Europe. In essence, it all begins with a decision, which is then followed by a visit to the nearest embassy of the country of your choice in your own country. What documents must you submit and in what order, when must you apply for a visa, and how does one receive a residence permit in a European country? – You may either check the list here or apply with Drill, and everything will be taken care of for you.ou may think that the visa process is very complex and time-consuming, but it all depends on which country you are from and which European country you intend to study in. In principle, it all starts with a choice and then moves to the nearest embassy of the country of your choice in your country. What documents do you need to submit and in what order, when do you need to apply for a visa and what is the process for obtaining a residence permit in a European country? – You may read the list here of you may simply apply with Drill and it will all be done for you.

General provisions

Do you wish to study in Europe? Or perhaps you already have a strong picture of what you desire. What is the precise direction and country? Each European country that offers study programs to international non-EU/EEA students has its application procedures and conditions for entering students. The most common principle is as follows:

In a nutshell, this is roughly how it works, and you can read about the specific requirements of each European country For the most part, this is how it works, and you can find out more about the specific laws and exceptions in each European country by reading on.


Non-EU and EEA nationals must obtain a visa to attend university in Austria, which must be done on their own. If you want to get an Austrian visa, you should begin the procedure as soon as possible because the process can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

A “Residence Permit – Student” is required for arriving students who are third-country nationals who plan to study and stay for more than six months. You can apply for this permit once you’ve arrived in Austria and are lawfully living there (for example, if you arrived with a visa), or you can contact the Austrian embassy in your home country before you go. It’s crucial to understand that a student residence permit does not entitle you to work in Austria! This is a one-time request that can only be made in rare circumstances.

To apply for a visa, you may require the following documents:


Belgium requires international students to apply for a visa, as does much of Europe. With your student visa application to the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in your home country, the registration office can give a letter of authorization to register. All students must register in their home community within eight days of their arrival in Belgium. Here is one more point: students who want to stay longer than three months need to apply for a C Visa.

C visa application typically necessitates the submission of the following documents:


Citizens of non-Nordic countries who plan to stay in Denmark for more than three months need a visa to enter the country. An official residence permit is required to stay in the country for more than three months. You may be able to work a few hours a week in Denmark if you have a study visa.

Contact and get a visa or a residence permit from the Danish Embassy in your home country or in the nation where you’ve been living for the last three months. If there is no Danish mission in the foreign country of a Schengen member, it is feasible to request assistance from the Danish mission in that country.

A confirmation email with a link to your application form will be sent to you once the tuition fees have been paid. To register for the program and obtain a residence permit, you must complete an online application form. After submitting their application online, applicants must create a case identification number, pay the application fee, complete their part of the application, submit their documents and take their biometric data (facial photo and fingerprints) in the representations:), or countries representing Denmark.

To enter Denmark, many requirements must be met before you can enter Denmark, and these requirements must be complete before you can enter the country. Each document must be translated into English by a professional translator before sending it. You must have all the relevant documents and a separate permit to work during your studies to be eligible to study in Denmark. This documentation should be completed in advance, and with all your plans in place, before applying for a visa and residence permit in Denmark.


Residents and students from countries outside the European Union must apply for a resident and study permit in Finland at the Finnish embassy or consulate in their home country. Even if you can submit your application online, visiting the embassy or consulate is necessary to receive a biometric identity. When applying for a resident visa, you must also provide a financial statement. When applying for a visa, you will require that you establish that you have sufficient funds to meet your expenditures while in Finland. In addition to the application form, applicants must provide a copy of their comprehensive health insurance plan to the university.


All international students, except European Union nationals who desire to remain in France, require a residence permit. When a student decides to travel to France to study, the French Embassy issues them a D visa to study in France. To live in France, you must have a special card. From the date of granting or getting a favourable decision, the production time for residency cards typically spans from 7 to 8 weeks.

The French consulate in your country of residency issues the visa. The prefecture where you are studying or living in France issues the residency permit. The French consulate will issue you a visa based on your purpose for visiting France (studies, traineeship, etc.). Furthermore, after obtaining a long-stay visa, it must be verified in France no later than three months after arriving.

The following documents are necessary to obtain a student residence permit:


With a few exceptions, international students from non-EU countries must apply for a visa to enter Germany through another German embassy. This visa can be requested at the German embassy in your country. The following is a list of the documents required to apply for a visa:

  1. A passport is a valid personal travel document.
  2. Acceptance letter from a German university;
  3. Medical insurance;
  4. Evidence of any previous scientific accomplishments;
  5. Evidence of any German language skills or language courses scheduled in Germany;
  6. Documents confirming the ability to pay for living expenses while studying (proof of financing, e.g. a blocked account) (proof of financing, e.g. a blocked account) and the expected annual minimum to be placed into the blocked account when applying for a visa has increased to 10,332 Euros since 2020 (861 Euros per month).

All people moving to Germany (EU, EEA, and non-EU residents) must register with the appropriate resident registration office in their city.


Before entering Greece, all incoming students from non-EU nations must apply for a visa. To apply for a visa, the European Department of Educational Programmes issues a letter of acceptance sent through email and ordinary mail. Then, to finish the formal application process, call the nearest authorized Greek embassy, where you will be given information on all necessary documents, the most important of which are:

  1. Invitation to study letter;
  2. a copy of your passport and a personal travel document
  3. Contract for health insurance;
  4. Proof of one’s financial status;

After acquiring a visa, you should apply for a residence permit with the Migration Service. You can also do it online if you follow the steps. Your learning contract and a copy of your ID must be attached to your application form.


Non-EU students outside of Italy must apply for a pre-registration visa online. Pre-registration applications will be submitted online via the University portal, as mandated by the Ministry of University and Research (MUR). In addition, you must include the following documents with your application:

International students who fail to submit their pre-registration application on time will not enrol in classes and receive a visa.

The visa application should be made to the authorized diplomatic-consular mission in advance.

You must upload your visa to the university portal and apply for a residence permit once you obtain it. Health insurance is necessary to apply for a residence permit. You can also register with the Italian National Health Service (“SSN”). The residence permit is the next stage. The following documents are required:


Before arriving in Lithuania, you must apply for a national visa (D) as well as a temporary residence permit.

Visa can be applied at the Republic of Lithuania’s Visa Centre or the Embassy. If your country does not have a legal representation for the Republic of Lithuania, you will have to travel to another country where the Republic of Lithuania is legally represented.

A Lithuanian Visa D costs €80 ($94), plus additional €28 ($33) for a residence permits. A visa takes two weeks on average to process. However, you can start your application up to six months before your trip.

You can fill out the application form online and upload the relevant documents:

The second step is to apply for a temporary residency visa in Lithuania, which will require the same documents as well as a few more:

You will be entitled to work up to 20 hours per week as an international student in Lithuania for the duration of your studies and full-time during university breaks. You won’t need to apply for further work permits because these are automatically given with your Visa D and residence permit.

The Netherlands

To study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for an MVV (entry visa) and/or a study residence permit. It is great to note that a number of Dutch universities take the visa process into their own hands, so that students don’t have to go to the migration services or other authorities themselves. You need to submit all the documents you need for the visIf you want to study in Netherland, you have to apply for an MVV (entrance visa) or a study residency permit, and it is beautiful to note that specific Dutch colleges are taking care of the visa procedure so that students don’t have to travel to migration services or other authorities on their own. When you apply to the institution, you must submit all the appropriate visa documents for visa approval and then wait for a favourable response.


A student residency permit is essential to stay in Spain (NIE) lawfully (NIE). These documents allow you to study in Spain and travel inside the European Union and countries Spain or the EU has signed free movement agreements.

Before travelling to Spain, you must contact the Spanish consulate in your home country or place of legal residency to get a student visa. You’ll need to show proof of enrolment in the program, as well as personal documents like your passport and bank statements. It is necessary to apply for a D student visa.

If you arrive in Spain, you must apply for a student residency permit at a police station within 30 days of your arrival.

Spanish university degree programs feature a comprehensive curriculum of Spanish language and culture courses that can be combined according to study periods or hours required to apply for a visa for more than six months, 20 hours per week, for full-time study.

Prospective students should follow the following steps to apply for a study visa:

For a study visa, these documents are required:


Ensure you get a written certification from the Swedish institution. If you’ve been accepted to a Swedish institution, you’ll receive an acceptance letter for your visa/residency permit application.

Pay for your first semester’s tuition as soon as possible. If you haven’t completed your application, it will not be processed until it is.

A residence permit application must be submitted in the second step. Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website is the quickest and easiest method. Approval or denial of an application can take between two and three months, depending on the complexity of the application. If you have paid your tuition or received a scholarship award due to your participation in the programme, you should submit your request as soon as possible after doing so.

The Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your native country or place of residence will set up an interview for you.

Application approval is contingent upon your meeting the following conditions:


Student visas are required for entry into Switzerland.

Candidates seeking a study visa must meet some requirements, including:

  1. Consider what you want to learn and how long you want to be in school before deciding.
  2. To meet the living expenses, you have enough money during your stay in Switzerland, which may amount to CHF 2100 a month in Switzerland (students cannot obtain a work visa during their first semester of education).
  3. It is essential that the candidate’s age and prior training are suitable for the course of study they have selected.

The achievement of the intended path does not imply that a visa will be issued in your case. In all instances, the criteria established by the competent federal and cantonal authorities shall be followed.

The Registration Service cannot assist in the legal procedures of the authorities (embassy, consulate, Population Service). These procedures can take two to three months to complete; therefore, students should complete them as quickly as possible when they begin them.

United Kingdom

To study in the United Kingdom, you should apply for a visa as soon as possible because it can take time to acquire all of the essential documents, pay fees, submit specific certificates, and so on.

Different permissions and permits depend on whatever course you’re taking.

If you plan to attend full-time studies for more than six months, you will need to apply for a student visa in advance (according to the student route). What should I do, and how should I go about getting started?

All of your financial and personal documentation and application forms must be gathered before applying for a student visa in the United Kingdom.

In addition to the methods of application, you must submit the following documents:

Every piece of material must be in English, and the translation must follow the following rules.

Biometric information: Biometric information, which includes fingerprints and a digital photo taken at the time of your appointment, is required for most visa applicants to the United Kingdom.

Credibility interview: You may be asked to participate in a credibility interview. A videotape of your interview will be required for your meeting with UK visa and immigration officials, which will be brief (about 5 minutes). Immigrant status, education, work experience and post-study plans will be the focus of the questioning.


Application fee: £348

According to the visa length, the Immigration Health Surcharge is computed.

On a case-by-case basis, additional levies are calculated.

Finally, but certainly not least

As is customary, you would research all of your options one by one. Still, with the Drill app, you can submit a single application to all of the institutions at the same time and obtain an instant visa invitation from the university. After that, you’ll have an interview in a specific embassy, and then you’ll be finished.

Start your application with Drill to get a European student visa

Other Posts